My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
www.greenislescrafts.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Faux Handmade Paper



I have something really fun to share today. It's a technique I did a something like 20 years ago and then abandoned because I started making my own paper and didn't need it anymore. Well, with the new and fun reinkers I have now, I thought I'd give it another go. You may have seen this before and that's ok. I'm going to push the envelope a bit and see what we get.

This technique calls for craft or pigment ink reinkers. I don't have a lot of these on hand... ok.. I have white and gold. But I did it with acrylic paint before so I know I'm not limited to what people today say to do.

Supplies:
  • Classic Ink Reinkers in two coordinating colors*
  • White Craft Ink Reinker
  • Gold Craft Ink Reinker
  • CHEAP Toilet Paper (TP). It's got to fall apart when it gets damp. (think: dollar store)
  • Gloves, if you are squeamish about inky fingers
  • Glossy Card Stock - mine is a 2 x 4" piece
  • Plastic lid for a palate

*Coordinating means they are next to each other on the color wheel. Contrasting colors will work but you'll have brown real fast if you are not careful. I used blue and green.

Step by Step:
  1. Ball up several squares of TP
  2. Put a few drops of white ink in two different places on the palate
  3. Put one or more drops of classic ink down over the white*
  4. Use TP to mix one color and pounce onto card stock – leave spaces
  5. Use another ball of TP to mix and pounce the other color in the spaces
  6. Use third ball of TP to pounce gold ink sporadically over the whole project
  7. Let it dry! This is a very wet technique on a resistant paper. It’s going to take time to dry. Patience is good grasshopper.

During each step the TP should be falling apart and leaving small bits behind. This is good! When it happens, pounce over that area again to flatten the bits and cover it in ink

* The more ink you use the darker your color will be – I used one drop for a soft look


Troubleshooting:
  • TP is not falling apart – mist it with alcohol and rub it on scrap paper before you ink up to tear it up first
  • Colors too dark – you can go over it again with white to soften the look



Here’s the project I did with mine. The stamps are from Eastern Blooms, Circle Circus and a hand carved phrase. The scalloped circle motif was created using three of the Circle Circus stamps, punched and layered. Then I punched a scalloped circle through the card front and mounted the motif through the hole for perfect alignment.

The background circle, flower and doodles are done in Dusty Durango (another of the new colors) and the phrase and two of the stamps for the motif are in Rich Razzleberry. Yep, the doodle is done in the new color too. They come in markers and if you have not tried these: They leave Marvy’s in the dust and they are… *insert glorious angelic choir here* … refillable! *doing the happy dance

Ok, enough of my silliness. Come play with me and I’ll be happy to show you this and a billion other things floating around in the old noodle.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this one Tee!!!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this! Love the new look too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great summer project to try with my crafty child!
    S

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin